Friday, January 22, 2010

7 months at SDMIMD Mysore

I joined this institute on the 13th of June, 2009 with a heart full of aspirations and bags full of luggage!

7 months have passed by in a jiffy.Well into the third trimester, it is indeed an interesting thought to look back and reminisce the time spent here.

The institute is one of the most beautiful B-school campuses in India.Single room hostels and vegetarian mess are a few of the differentiating factors if not USPs.It took me 2-3 months before I could immerse myself entirely into the MBA (PGDM technically) programme.After all, I was a fresher straight out of college (09 passout).

BBA at BIT Mesra-Kolkata Centre was so relaxed and easy.Rather I took the course easy, as you can interpret. MBA, a completely different ball-game together.Loads of books and very limited time to study.Cant blame time as I dint utilise it to my satisfaction.All the courses appeared familiar and so complacency crept in.

Two trimesters passed by.A few courses done in marketing,finance,operations,systems etc. Enjoyed Corporate Finance and Microeconomics courses a lot. Excited about Macroeconomics course this term, something I dont mind spending more time on.

Life in Kolkata and Mysore were as different as chalk and cheese.Still adaptability holds the key and I am more than happy here.Missing Kolkata and the friends there though.Fish,sweets and fast food on Kolkata's streets still water my palate.

Folks here are nice and friendly.Have made some great friends in Dinesh,Nitish,Shastry,Chandu et al and changed the room from 13 to 27, for reasons I am not too sure of.People here celebrate all kinds of festivals--Diwali,navaratri,uttarayan,pongal etc. managing time really well despite hectic schedules.Something I had never imagined at a B-school.Keeps people in good humour and builds camaraderie though.

What else?I have already typed a long post.My batchmates are from varied backgrounds and blessed with varied skills.A few of them have considerable IT sector experience.Profs are good in general (exceptions are always there, you know!).

We ( I and Robin) had been to Institute of Public Enterprise,Hyderabad to present our paper which was selected from 25 such entries including the IIMs.It was a great experience.More on that in another post.

Keep smiling...

No comments:

Post a Comment